Losing a job can be incredibly stressful. The emotional and financial pressure you face is not conducive to making careful long-term legal decisions. Yet this is when many dismissed employees are presented with severance agreements where payment is offered in exchange for a waiver of your legal rights. If this happens to you, we will evaluate potential claims against your employer so that you can have the knowledge you need to make an informed decision.
To determine whether a severance payment compensates you fairly, you need to understand the likelihood of a successful lawsuit against your employer. I can quickly evaluate potential legal actions and what you might be able to recover by alleging:
- Discrimination based on age, sex, religion or membership in another group protected under federal or state law
- Violation of an employment contract
- Refusal of an employer to follow the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Consideration you will receive for executing a noncompete agreement
- Unlawful retaliation for reporting employer misconduct